Friday, September 2, 2011

26. Go to a concert or musical.

Complete!  I actually went to two musicals at Shenandoah University this summer.  I saw South Pacific and Aida, which were presented as part of the Shenandoah Summer Music Theatre.  I loved both performances.  I thought the casting was fantastic and I was extremely impressed with all of the performers.

At the beginning of August, I traveled to The Miracle Theater in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, to see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and The Miracle, a musical about the life of Jesus.  The Miracle was a powerful, moving experience.  I actually sat beside the sister of the man who played the devil.  She leaned over and said, "That's my little brother."  I wanted to tell her that he was perfect for the part because he was amazingly sinister, but that didn't exactly seem like a compliment, so I think I mumbled something lame like, "Oh, really?  That's cool."
 
While The Miracle is serious, Joseph is a fun, fast-paced musical.  And now for a sentence that I never guessed I would type: I fell in love with Pharaoh Elvis.  In Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, the Pharaoh character is based on "the King," even dressing and speaking like Elvis.  It was love at first sight.  My suspicions were further encouraged by the fact that Pharaoh Elvis took my hand while singing.  Then, he proceeded to sing and dance in front of the stage (also right in front of me).  I swear he smiled at me and looked right at me while performing.

Probably, this was wishful thinking on my part.  However, if my life were a movie, I believe that at this particular moment, Sarah Chain would have squealed, "They love each other!"  Alas, that was not the case and this is CLEARLY getting progressively more embarrassing/crazy, so I'm going to stop now.  Moral of this post: I like musicals and enjoyed all of the ones I have seen this summer. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment